Trail Blazer Ministries
Base Camp for Life: A Spiritual Journey...

God only loves some...

Labels: , ,

Theology matters:
"The plight of the missionaries is a natural consequence of their theology. A theology that says God only loves a certain group and, will torment everyone he doesn't love for all eternity is one that justifies any means to "save" people."
http://www.thebeautifulheresy.com/2010/02/theology-matters.html
What are we doing, and does a belief in hell really effect our outlook on the rest of the world. Speaking from personal experience, I remember being a fundamentalist and I'd look around at my high school and college and have a deep longing to save everyone. I was reserved for the most part, unless I was at a kegger talking theology with my friends. Here's the messed up part: I felt I was "in the world, not of the world." I was a missionary, encouraging others to attend church with me. I succeeded bringing a several friends to church, even "saving" a few. Yeah, I was a super-Christian, I could hang out with un-believers yet stay strong, nonjudgmental and love them all the same. (even though God may send them to an eternity in hell)
Ahh...the irony of it all. Many Christians tell me I must hate what God hates..

For you, O LORD, are most high over all the earth; you are exalted far above all gods. O you who love the LORD, hate evil! He preserves the lives of his saints; he delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name! (Psalms 97:9-12 ESV)

I struggle with this, I still can't love people, knowing God hates them. Some Christians will object to this statement, but the age old question, "How can a loving God send people to hell?" still persists. Many authors have tried to tackle this question, some saying we all deserve hell, so he's really amazingly loving by selecting some of us.
"Oh! That really helps!!!" *sarcastically*
The more I've poured over Scripture, the more I don't believe hell exists. The Old Testament doesn't mention it, Jesus uses the Pharisee doctrine to cast their own legalism into their own doctrine. Jesus refers to the Greek belief of Hades, he also point out a garbage dump in Jerusalem. (Gehenna)
I have much more to say, but I'll say it at a later time.
3 comments:

Good observations. Scripture is ambiguous about hell, and the historical record is largely courtesy of Dante.

Is hell already present in this world, perhaps lurking somewhere in the depths of depression, in the unceasing agony of unbearable physical pain, or in the emotional chasm that one might fall into at any moment (say, upon the death of a loved one)?


I struggle with this issue as well. What if Christianity is not even about "where we go when we die?" What if "heaven" and "hell" are merely the continuation, or natural result, of the lives we live here on earth? Can a non-Christian experience heaven? Can a Christian experience hell?


I never thought I'd waiver on the issueof "hell" - now I'm waivering with the three of you.

I do believe in a "heavenly" spiritual realm where out spiritual bodies will exist for eternity.

How do we get that Spiritual body - being born again in water baptism & being resurrected at that point with Christ in baptism. When our earthly physical body wears out our spiritual body meets the Lord in the air for eternity.

What about those now "born again" in baptism and resurrected with Christ in baptism? I believe they are annialated for good.

That's my opinion - for what it is worth.



Recent Comments